I have taken Naproxen several times over the years as prescribed by my doctor. I was recently injured and have been taking Aleve (Naproxen with an easier to market name) over the past few weeks. I took 2 Aleve this morning, and within 20 minutes was experienceing the most terrifying experience of my life thus far.
The entire top of my tongue itched, then my blood pressure started to rise... high and fast, peaking at 181/115 (yes, for real); heart reat 198. I went bright, bright red from head to toe, including the whites of my eyes; breathing slowed and oxygen levels dropped to 13% at one point. Hives, chills, anxiety attack, trip by Ambulance at speeds in excess of 140km/h in fear of my "crashing" before arriving the hospital. I am a healthy 35 year old woman. There is no known reason for the allergic reaction; no other known allergies, and had injested nothing other than water with the pills. It was a terrifying moment when I realized that the Paramedics were preparing "the paddles" and a mega dose of epinepherine for my certain inevitable cardiac arrest.
I was put on IV (took 4 tries to get the IV in and taped down before the swelling pushed the cannula out of my vien) and given Benedryl via drip and Prednizone orally. I am now the proud new owner of 2 Epi pens and a referral to an allergist.
Just an FYI... otherwise, the Aeve works really well. Hahaha... :S